Sunday, May 27, 2012

Memorial Day

Memorial Day is a solemn day. A day of commemoration. A day to honor our fallen soldiers, airmen, marines, sailors, and coast guardsmen. Memorial Day should not be confused with Veterans Day, a day for honoring all people who serve and served in the armed forces, both living and dead.

Some historical points about Memorial Day:

· Memorial Day roots go back to Civil War

· 1863 – Wives, daughters, sisters and other loved ones decorated graves in Columbus, Missouri

· 1865 – Freed slaves decorated the graves of Union soldiers in Charleston, South Carolina

· 1866 – Henry Welles, pharmacist in Waterloo, New York, closed his drugstore to honor all soldiers, Union and Confederate, killed in the Civil War

· 1868 – General John Logan, commander of the Grand Army of the Republic, proclaimed May 30th to be Memorial Day

· 1915 – Moina Michael conceived of the red poppy to honor those who died serving this country during war

· In the 1920s – The VFW and American Legion picked up the tradition of the red poppy which continues today

· After WWI, Memorial Day was expanded to honor and commemorate military service members who died serving their country in all wars since the American Revolution

· More than one million Americans have made the ultimate sacrifice since our declaration of independence from England

· Memorial Day is a day set aside to honor our men and women who are the true heroes of these United States, the protectors of our freedom and liberty, and the guiding stars that light our way to a more promising future

Read these words written by Charles M. Province:
It is the Soldier, not the reporter,
Who has given us Freedom of the Press.

It is the Soldier, not the poet,
Who has given us Freedom of Speech.

It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer,
Who has given us the Freedom to demonstrate.

It is the Soldier, not the lawyer,
Who has given us the right to a fair trial;

And it is the Soldier--who salutes the flag,
Who serves the flag, and
Whose coffin is draped by the flag--
Who allows the protester to burn the flag.

I ask everyone to continue to make a difference with your words and actions. God bless our fallen soldiers and God bless America.

5 comments:

  1. I love that poem! Thank you printing it Randy!

    After weeks at Basic Training in the Army, many years ago, our drill was perfected and we were allowed as a Battalion to participate in a military ceremony at Fort McClellan AL. The moment the National Anthem was played and my newly crisp and perfect salute was executed my heart swelled with pride in service to my country. I fought back a tear. I never saluted from that moment on during my years in uniform that I did not give thanks I could serve my country. When I left active duty, I missed those salutes, but the pride of having served lifts me up to this day.

    Every day I give humble thanks for all our service men and women now serving. May all of us be united and not divided as Americans this Memorial Day. THAT honors our honored dead and heroic live, who have and are serving our country in military service. All those with love in their hearts for their country are patriotic. It does not take a flag or a salute to say that. There is no measure of prof beyond citizenship and love of country in our daily lives through our citizenship. To be a patriot simply takes resolve to be all that we can be. May this Memorial Day be uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Randy. Have a good Memorial Day!

      Delete
  3. Carl Johansen would respond also, that is one reason why every one should defend those ideals by there actions in the public and private world around us. The flying of our colors represents the values of democracy, that many sacrificed themselves to defend.

    Those of us that served, yet survived, should always keep the flames of democracy alive and free from those that find the ways to offest these sacrifices made on our behalf. As each of you may know, it can be a difficult undertaking to take a stand , especially in an entreched society where free speach does have limitations in am political world. That is if we allow it to occur.

    The ironic part of these challenges come mainly from those that never served to defend the ideals and principals so noted in the above poem.

    My flag fly's every day as an assurance that justice for all,means just that. Out of deep respect for those whom made the ulitmate sacrifices so that we all , democrats, republicans and independants
    get to honor what these brave men and women did to provide us all with a better America to live in. It may be a sruggle at times, but it is a struggle, we all need to except,

    May God bless all our fallen brothers and sistors during this time of honor and redeticate ourselves as Americans to keep democracy alive for the next generations of citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Ludwig Hayes McCauleyJune 3, 2012 at 5:28 AM

    Although I must admit, I have no clue what your position is concerning those who have not served, I will give you mine. I fought very hard and I would do it again, but, just to let you know, I did it to allow those who want to speak against the actions of the American Government to do so. That is what most of us fought for, not to just accept that because I fought that I should not think that those who are opposed to American actions are less of a Patriot than I.

    I proudly wear my prosthesis each day to remind those that did not serve in the Armed Forces that I did and to remind them that they should speak up for or against American actions because I fought for that right.

    ReplyDelete

I monitor all comments. As long as there are no personally defamatory statements and/or foul language, I'll post your comment. For this reason, your comment will not appear instantaneously. To comment without registering, choose Name/URL and type a screen name (or your real name if you like) into the Name field. Leave the URL field blank.