Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Some lighter moments at the Statehouse

My first year as a state representative is coming to a close and I find myself reflecting back on a few of the funnier things that happened during my rookie year.

I learned a lot about how the McCormack Building garage attendants regard the intellect of freshman legislators. Pulling up to the garage on the day of our swearing in, I was asked my name. The gentleman found me on the list, radioed some codes to his fellow attendants and opened the garage door. I proceeded in and at every turn and ramp there was another walkie-talkie armed attendant pointing me in the proper direction. The final attendant literally ran to my parking slot while I followed and he staged my turn into the space much like a ramp agent guiding an airplane to a gate.

At first I thought all of this ado was a reflection of the attendants' respect for legislators. That turned out to be a fleeting thought. No, the real reason for this masterfully coordinated exercise was quite the opposite. For years, these people have had to deal with elected officials who didn't have the sense to find the right parking spot and out of that frustration they developed this crack system to prevent wasting the attendants' time and to get the legislators to the Statehouse on time. (The exercise was repeated when we were asked to take our seats in the chamber.)

After the budget sessions ended in April, various committees started holding hearings to plow through the 6,000 some odd bills that had been filed for this legislative session. I arrived on time for the first hearing of the Joint Committee on Elder Affairs and pulled out my agenda along with copies of the bills. The hearing was gaveled to a start and about twenty minutes into it I came to realize that my state of confusion was not because of my newbee status, rather because the Elder Affairs Committee was meeting in the room next door.

During the summer I scheduled a tour of the Statehouse with the curator of collections, Susan Greendyke. I wanted to become a better tour guide and I’m always interested in historical anecdotes, how things got their names, etc. At the end of the three-hour tour, we were standing outside the General Hooker Entrance on Beacon Street. Ms. Greendyke lamented that she had been petitioning to get the name of the entrance changed for 25 years, preferring South Entrance to the somewhat scandalous moniker. Legend has it that General Hooker indeed had a bevy of female followers who were known as Hooker’s Ladies, shortened later to hookers.

A formal session of the House of Representatives is an interesting thing to watch, and even more interesting to take part in. One element of the sessions is the obligatory party politics. This drives me batty more than anything else we deal with on Beacon Hill. At times, the minority party pushes an amendment that we know won't pass but that makes a philosophical point and gets the majority party to go on record with their nay votes. Whenever one of these votes comes up, all of the Republicans light up their green "yea" vote lights and all of the Democrats light up their red "nay" vote lights. Since the parties are shown together on the vote tally board, there are 33 green lights in a row and 127 red lights in a row.

At a recent, long session, the minority leader jumped up at exactly 6 p.m. moving to take a dinner break until 7 p.m. A motion of this type allows for no debate, only a vote. The house clerk called for the vote and the 33 green Republican lights came on, almost in unison. About half of the 127 red lights were lit when the speaker's green light was illuminated. Mass confusion ensued as a bunch of the red lights starting changing to green only to be followed by the speaker's light switching to red which caused a second flurry of green lights changing to red. In the end, the dinner break was summarily voted down on partisan lines.

I can imagine a legislator being criticized on the campaign trail for being against dinner before being for dinner before being against dinner.

3 comments:

  1. Speaking of dinner, the state had a recession, years ago, under Mike Dukakis, and the state matching funds for shellfish propagation were cancelled. I have proposed that these be reinstated, and expanded to include matching funds for mooring fees also. Using a Market Quota System, www.environmentalfisherman.com the combined public resources and tourism would increase industry for coastal communities, who pay a lot of taxes. I can present on this topic. I think it's the only way to have sustainable public resource asset management, because it involves a cash flow, which is something a CPA would understand. With a cash flow system we can grow the marine resource based industries, tremendously. Keep us chuckling. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, in other words, with all of the pressing problems of the day, The State House of Representatives would probably screw up a free lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Randy, thank you for sharing and thank you for your hard work. I like the dinner story, I'm certain Pavlov would have been interested in this. As soon as the green light is lit on the minority side, the majority side hits the red automatically: classical conditioned response. This says a lot about the way things are in Massachusetts government (maybe even most of the states). It is painfully obvious that many legislators on the majority side in this state are not even listening during hearings. How can you vote "no" to the motion of taking a dinner break after a long session? Now it makes sense as to why those same ones dont listen to the voice of the people.

    ReplyDelete

I monitor all comments. As long as there are no personally defamatory statements and/or foul language, I'll post your comment. For this reason, your comment will not appear instantaneously. To comment without registering, choose Name/URL and type a screen name (or your real name if you like) into the Name field. Leave the URL field blank.