Friday, September 9, 2011

Let’s remember the events of 9/11/2001 on September 11

Call me old-fashioned or a curmudgeon or a cynic, but I’m having a great deal of difficulty getting my arms around the idea of turning the attacks by Muslim terrorists on September 11th, 2001 into a National Day of Service and Remembrance. Like Roebuck, the word remembrance will eventually fade away.

Other non-holiday commemorations focus on the events that took place on that day of the year. June 6th is D-Day. November 11th is Veterans Day, originally Armistice Day for remembering the end of hostilities of World War I and since expanded to recognize the contributions of all armed forces veterans.

December 7th is remembered for the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Also from World War II are VE and VJ Day, both emblazoned on my dad’s memory, having fought in Europe and being en route to the Pacific when Hirohito surrendered.

So as much as I appreciate, encourage and participate in volunteerism, I’m concerned that we are on a federally orchestrated course to push the terrorist attacks to the back burner, opting instead for political correctness. That’s a tall order this year for the leading voice of the National Day of Service and Remembrance, Michelle Obama. The administration is up against the naturally important tenth anniversary of the hijackings, but counting on our collective memory and visceral reactions to wane as time goes on.

I say don’t dilute the significance of this day. I say never forget.

6 comments:

  1. It's time to swap Labor Day for 9/11 Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t know for sure Randy but it could be the result of Michele having met with many survivors and victimized families of the attacks and asking them how the anniversary each year affects them. In 2001 I was working for AON Corp here in Boston providing technical support to the New York office that was on the 100th floor of the second tower hit. I had worked with some of the people for 10 years. It was a small office and all but 1 actually made it out safely because they didn’t trust the intercom message saying everything was ok and the fire was contained in the other tower. They were actually were in the elevator going down and had reached the 30th floor when their building got hit. The rest of their story is beyond nightmare.

    As with any tragedy the aftermath for the survivors I know involves a lot of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and I think a lot of the survivors actually would like to avoid having to be told when to think about it and when not to. If the day were to become more focused on public service and volunteering perhaps that would help the survivors get through each anniversary time by doing something positive and being actively distracted. While I recognize the Nation’s feeling as a whole to Never Forget I think the survivors have a life long struggle of living with the experience and may benefit from a distraction of keeping busy. I know many won’t be watching any TV or reading media for the weeks surrounding this anniversary. Unfortunately I think while the rest of us pause and remember the day the survivors are again being victimized by the media’s constant selling of the 9/11 events. I’m sure any glimpse of 9/11 footage can trigger many flashbacks for them.
    I really didn’t have an intention of writing something this long and didn’t have a real point when I started but I think the point I’m trying to make is that the focus of the day should be whatever collective consciences is for the direct survivors and the growing number of victimized families. Later on in time it can be more about the USA as a whole but it’s really been only ten years. The direct victims and their families should be first and foremost. If they want to be distracted then I say lets help distract them.
    Dan Bell..
    PS Sorry Randy.. I don't know what you mean by "Comment as" I selected Anonymous but it doesn't matter if I'm mark anonymous or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carl Johansen would state that every remembrance we observe here in America has been for a good cause or reason. Each has different meanings from another. Some we celibrate with joy and others with reverance.

    At some point in history, what occurred on September 11 2001 will find its way into being honored and reminding every one that perished that day, will never be forgotton. Our countries history will demand some special date be set aside for what took place on that tragic day.

    Should that be the date it occurred or some other? We the people can provide an input, by asking our leaders we elected, to finalize a date, upon where, we as citizens can honor those that lost there lives during this tragic period in Americas History. God Bless Them All

    ReplyDelete
  4. To 11:09. Although I agree with your statement as a whole, I would point out that when we celebrate "Columbus' discovery", we are celebrating a racist, rapist, and fraud.

    Remember America was "discovered" many times before Columbus. He took advantage of the American natives, their women and did not discover that the world was round, most people with any education knew it by that time.

    Again, as all this relates to 911, I mostly agree with you except that we celbrate for a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erik the Red Greenland, DenmarkSeptember 12, 2011 at 7:19 PM

    Queen Esabella- You are correct.

    ReplyDelete

I monitor all comments. As long as there are no personally defamatory statements and/or foul language, I'll post your comment. For this reason, your comment will not appear instantaneously. To comment without registering, choose Name/URL and type a screen name (or your real name if you like) into the Name field. Leave the URL field blank.