Tuesday, May 3, 2011

What’s in a tune?

The May 1st mission to take out Osama bin Laden provided a sense of closure for millions of people affected by the September 11, 2001 attacks.

I am proud of our special ops forces and though I know this mission does not close the book on this era of terrorism, it does fulfill a promise made by George Bush while standing on a pile of rubble, using a bullhorn to speak to the search and rescue teams, to the nation, and to the terrorists. I congratulate President Obama, the Pentagon, the CIA, and all who planned and executed this raid.

With these feelings still riding high this morning, I was flipping through the TV channels looking for bits of news. When I switched to our local cable access channel, I stopped and wondered if the music playing as background to the community bulletin board was intended to convey a message.

I enjoy most styles of music. I often play a tune to put me into a particular mood. By the same token, my mood changes in reaction to some songs I hear. Today, I was in a mood akin to John Philip Souza’s when he wrote several of his patriotic marches.

What I heard was hardly Stars and Stripes Forever.

Am I overreacting?

Probably so.

I don’t know.

5 comments:

  1. Well, you are funny! I had the opportunity over the weekend to hear the new selections that accompany the Bulletin Board and came across this tune. I thought hmmm first thing Monday maybe we can get some new music on there. This is a new Webus program and the files of music have to be uploaded onto the server. When I heard it my first thought was the people in Sandwich probably won't be whistling to this tune. We will be looking for other selections and this time maybe play it closer to home.

    Paula Johnson
    Sandwich Community TV

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Paula: I registered my comments as what I considered to be an interesting twist on context.

    Two days earlier, I wouldn't have thought a thing about it.

    Not complaining, mind you. You guys do a great job and provide a critical service to our town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Randy for the compliment.
    And thanks for saying so (that you wouldn't have noticed before) but even without recent events it was a little bit unusual for Cape Cod. Jazz fusion wouldn't go over well on a Community Bulletin Board either. We try and keep it to easy listening or old familiar tunes. You are usually reading about events scheduled at Green Briar and the like so we try and make the music fit the message....
    Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paula...perhaps a more appropriate musical piece that covers all the bases is Peace Train by Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it! We will make a list-more suggestions!

    ReplyDelete

I monitor all comments. As long as there are no personally defamatory statements and/or foul language, I'll post your comment. For this reason, your comment will not appear instantaneously. To comment without registering, choose Name/URL and type a screen name (or your real name if you like) into the Name field. Leave the URL field blank.