Friday, May 6, 2011

Driving for Charity: April 2011 - Boys & Girls Club of Cape Cod

I made a campaign promise, at the urging of Matt Pitta, WXTK Radio news director, to pass through my state representative travel per diem to a local charity each month. Unlike most of us who do not get paid to commute, legislators receive payments based on the distance they must drive to the Statehouse. My per diem is $45. Click here to see Who gets paid to drive to work?

April’s per diem payment of $360 represents eight trips to the Statehouse and I am honored to donate that amount to the Boys & Girls Club of Cape Cod. The Club, located in Mashpee, provides nearly 1,000 kids access to a variety of programs, including afterschool activities, a summer camp, teen groups, sports, and many others.

I visited the facility to meet with Ruth Provost, executive director and former state representative, several staff people, volunteers and lots of happy and busy kids. The positive energy and enthusiasm I witnessed was truly inspiring and all of this done on a shoestring budget.

I encourage everyone to learn more about the Boys & Girls Club and to make a donation to this deserving public service.

For more information and to donate: http://www.boysgirlsclubcapecod.org/

3 comments:

  1. Hi Randy, Congratulations on another worthy contribution. Are you getting any other reps to follow along? If not, I am surprised, because most of them are so adept at "following" instead of leading. You are a breath of fresh air among our state legislators. I would encourage you to look into the Community Health Center of Cape Cod. I have been utilizing it lately and it is a very valuable resource for our communities.
    Keep up your great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still like to see you do what Senate President Murray does and not take the travel pay. Then it goes back into the pot for taxpayer benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous:

    Here’s how this works. According to the Office of Campaign & Political Finance (OCPF) rules, a candidate can choose between 1) taking the state’s travel reimbursement, or 2) paying for the expenses via his/her campaign account.

    I choose to take the reimbursement from the state, which I have documented fully in this series of Driving for Charity articles. Senate President Murray does not take the state reimbursement, as you indicate, but does pay for her automobile lease and at least some portion of her gasoline via her campaign account.

    I have no problem with either approach, but for me, I don’t have a campaign account that would support such expenditures. I choose to take the reimbursement from the state, send it to a different charity each month, and pay for all my fuel and car payments out of my own pocket.

    If you think that not taking the reimbursement would do more good (by leaving it in the state’s treasury) than putting the money directly to social service charities operating in my district, then you’re simply trying to score political points (which is what you are accusing me of doing). I’m okay with that. We should just be clear about why you complain about me supporting reading for blind, child victims of sexual abuse, a food pantry for our military personnel, and a place for kids to go in order to learn, recreate, and stay out of trouble.

    FYI, the senate president spent $451,583 from her campaign account in 2010, $9,687 of which was for her vehicle lease and $934 for gasoline. Like I said, I have no problem with that. It’s all disclosed and totally legal.

    For perspective, I spent $46,721 in 2010, none of which was for cars and fuel.

    My challenge to you, Anonymous, is to send a $25 check to the Boys & Girls Club of Cape Cod.

    ReplyDelete

I monitor all comments. As long as there are no personally defamatory statements and/or foul language, I'll post your comment. For this reason, your comment will not appear instantaneously. To comment without registering, choose Name/URL and type a screen name (or your real name if you like) into the Name field. Leave the URL field blank.