Friday, November 27, 2009

2009 trip to Texas: Day 8

We had platoon to feed on Thanksgiving and everything came together beautifully. Turkey (baked or deep fried), ham, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, two styles of dressing, green beans, cranberry sauce, cobblers, pies…

The ranch took on a look more like a Good Sam Club gathering than its much quieter, normal setting. My nephew and his wife brought their travel trailer for additional sleeping and an extra kitchen.

Kids were everywhere. One of my nieces brought a bounce house. There were plenty of other things to do, including taking rides in the cattle tank on a peddle boat, riding the Kawasaki Mule, and tossing footballs, baseballs and Frisbees.

Alan and I took several bags of salt feed out to the feeding troughs, which was a lesson on the natural order of things. The donkeys get first dibs at the trough because the horses and cows are afraid they’ll get kicked. Then the horses take their turn followed by the cattle. Even the cows have their own pecking order.

It’s a very interesting dynamic to watch. I’d want to be a donkey, given what I saw, but I imagine that if Alan had a few elephants on the ranch, they’d probably get to eat whenever they felt like it.

Copyright 2009 Randy Hunt

2 comments:

  1. Will you please PLEASE bring back some Texas BBQ beef brisquet for me?

    ReplyDelete

I monitor all comments. As long as there are no personally defamatory statements and/or foul language, I'll post your comment. For this reason, your comment will not appear instantaneously. To comment without registering, choose Name/URL and type a screen name (or your real name if you like) into the Name field. Leave the URL field blank.