Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Road trip to Texas: Day 13

Morning hog hunt: See yesterday's post.

Still, for the past four days I've watched the first light of dawn and seen the night sky swallow the last remnant of twilight. How cool is that?

We walked for hours searching for just one of the four million feral hogs roaming Texas. If we were in Rhode Island, it'd be a lot easier. Frankly, it's quite amazing that you can wander around for three hours without seeing another human being.

By the way, while Alan and I are out chasing pork, Mary and Mary are running down to the big sale at Owl's and visiting some of the chic malls in Gonzales County. Alan and I are the only ones coming home day after day with nothing to show.

The highlight of the day was dinner. Feral hog chili. My sister-in-law makes a great chili, which is even better with ground feral hog. Their freezer is stocked with pork chops and ground meat, but it is not advisable to make sausage or jerky from feral hogs as they often carry brucellosis and parasites. You have to cook the meat thoroughly for it to be safe. Domestic hogs raised on farm factories are fed tetracycline and other antibiotics in order to kill these maladies before slaughter.

Another highlight, perhaps lowlight: One of dogs, Rosie, decided to partake in my tumbler of Bailey's while I took a quick shower. She cleaned the glass and was so proud of herself. Of course, twenty minutes later, she was swaying from side to side and we all saw what was coming from the dining room table. I've seen this look before. It's the "I've had way too much to drink and I'm going to throw up" look. Though I can't say I've ever seen it on a dog, it's the same look.

Mary and Alan jumped up to let Rosie out the front door. Too late.

Well, tomorrow is our last shot at taking a feral hog. If we don't accomplish that, I've still got plenty of footage to produce a show about the menaces ranchers face; from the runaway population growth of feral hogs to other long standing threats, such as coyotes and mountain lions.

1 comment:

  1. Randy, I've been following your and Alan's past few days of attempting to capture a Feral hog without much success. It doesn't look promising for getting a sampling of Mary's famous Bar B Q when you guys return home.

    They say hogs are very smart creatures and in this case, avoiding your advances seems to supporting that belief. I quess this may be why there are 4 million of them roaming the Texas landscape.
    Stay well and see you soon. Frank

    ReplyDelete

I monitor all comments. As long as there are no personally defamatory statements and/or foul language, I'll post your comment. For this reason, your comment will not appear instantaneously. To comment without registering, choose Name/URL and type a screen name (or your real name if you like) into the Name field. Leave the URL field blank.