Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Road trip to Texas: Day 10

The first morning of our feral hog hunting venture started at 6:00 a.m. We wanted to be out before dawn started breaking because these hogs generally stay in the woods and are nearly impossible to find during the day. I had my tan field pants on with a camouflage shirt. Unfortunately, these field pants weren't broken in enough--no demand for this kind of clothing at work and I'd only been out in them a couple of times before--and they were unbelievably loud when the legs rubbed against each other. It sounded like I was wearing two pup tents strapped at my waist. Needless to say, this was a signal for any feral hogs residing in Gonzales County to stay clear.

In the afternoon, we drove to Gonzales to pick up a pair of Wrangler camouflage "quiet" pants. I also bought a couple of cases of clay pigeons to entertain the kids back at the ranch. Our daughter and son, Sarah and Dan, came down from Dallas with grandson, Timothy. My nephew and niece, Pat and Angie, and their spouses also joined us. We knocked a few clays out of the sky with my 12-gauge trap gun and put a few holes in a silhouette target with a variety of revolvers and pistols. Good, safe fun without the aid of a video game console.

The evening hunt, though not nearly as noisy, was equally uneventful. The pigs are safe until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I monitor all comments. As long as there are no personally defamatory statements and/or foul language, I'll post your comment. For this reason, your comment will not appear instantaneously. To comment without registering, choose Name/URL and type a screen name (or your real name if you like) into the Name field. Leave the URL field blank.