Saturday, October 4, 2008

My tribute to Erkki Alanen, cartoonist

Anyone who has been to my office has seen my ten cartoons hanging on the wall. People often compliment me on my artistic talents but, although I was the gag writer, I did not draw them. The wonderful artist was Erkki Alanen, someone I met on the Internet, collaborated with, but never met face to face. Unfortunately, Erkki died a few years ago. Originally from Finland, he was a big guy with a big heart. I will miss his genius and knack for interpreting and developing my raw ideas.

-----------------------------------
UPDATE:

I posted this article on October 4, 2008 and today, March 11, 2009, I received the following email from Erkki’s wife, Cathy. It's interesting how the Internet can bring people together from across the globe.

Dear Randy,

Thank you so much for your kind words and the many illustrations by Erkki Alanen, my late husband. Erkki's brother, Juhani, brought the article to my attention and I was thrilled to see it in a sweet, sad kind of way. Glad that he is remembered, sad that he has passed away.

You may be interested to know we married in Helsinki in 1979 and have three children. Erkki lived the last 20 years here in El Paso. I was a journalist and the cartoon editor of the National Enquirer when I met Erkki. I grabbed onto him and wouldn't let go and so he finally married me. He was the star of the family and always made us laugh. He has a son, Mayo Alanen, who is now a famous ballroom dancer. Google him and you'll find out all about him. We didn't name him after his dad as we didn't want to stick an American boy with an unpronounceable name. His youngest son followed in Dad's footsteps and is now an architectural intern in Dallas. I live here in El Paso with our disabled daughter, Mia. She has Angelman's Syndrome.

Erkki was such a talented person and such a huge part of the family. It was a terrible shock when we lost him to a stroke in 2005. My eye sight went from being nearsighted to farsighted and has stayed that way. I thought that was weird, but after all he had been the center of my world for 25 years. His passing changed much more than my eye sight.

Thanks again for the great article.

Cathy Alanen

-----------------------------------

The idea of creating cartoons started with my eldest son, Dan, who came home one afternoon from middle school announcing that he had joined the school newspaper staff.

"That's terrific," I said. "Are you going to be a reporter?"

"No," he replied. "I'm going to be the cartoonist."

"Really? When is your first cartoon due?"

"Tomorrow."

Anyone with kids knows that this is par for the course. Whether it's two dozen cookies that your young scholar promised his classmates or the lava mountain that needs to be completed for the science fair, the answer to the 64 million dollar question is always tomorrow.

So we set out to come up with a clever cartoon, something school related and G-rated. What we came up with was a gag about report card day as it might have played out in the caveman days.


I'm still looking for my son's original cartoon. If I ever find it, I'll post it here, but I do enjoy Erkki's version of this gag, which depicts the joy that must have highlighted every report card day until someone finally invented the rest of the alphabet (or at least the letters B through F).

I made the connection with Erkki Alanen shortly after this emergency cartooning session while surfing the Internet. I found his website and discovered that he was living in the same city as I, although it wouldn't have mattered if he was still hanging out in Finland. That's the beauty of collaborating via the Internet. For the next several years, I would periodically send Erkki a gag and he would develop the idea into a cartoon.

Some of my gags were inspired by everyday things. Some by things I heard, or misheard. And some by random, silly notions like the following one that attempts to draw a parallel between a dog and a geyser.


Erkki's reduction of Old Faithful to a 100 square foot spectacle is part of his genius. It makes the cartoon work.

You'll see that several of my gag ideas came from word plays. In the following cartoon, one simple letter has an odd effect on the Ruler of the Undersea.

In another word play, I wondered what the abominable snowman would look like if I had the "stomach" to change a few letters.


This next one has its genesis with a news story that came from the west coast of Florida. Beaches were forced to close because of the large number of sharks that were congregating nearby. One Florida city banned sightseeing excursions that several boat operators ran, chumming the waters to attract sharks for photo ops and entertainment of their clients.

One of these tour operators, with a heavy Cuban accent, was interviewed by a local TV news reporter. So you understand, in Spanish there are no words that start with the letters "sc" or "sp." Instead, those words start with the letters "esc" or "esp," such as escala (scale) and espirito (spirit). Well, this guy claimed that the city was making "escape goats" out of the tour operators.

That was enough for me to start imagining what an escape goat would look like and Erkki hatched the following depiction.


I had a similar experience while listening to the radio on my way home from work one time, except that the mispronunciation was in my head, not with the speaker. I misheard someone saying NBA, which gave rise to the next cartoon.

For much of my adult life, I have avoided life-threatening places like steep, ice-covered roads, cars with their engines running in enclosed garages, and grocery stores. This is me trying to negotiate the confusion of our local supermarket.

I've seen stories about people thinking that their PC's CD ROM tray is a cupholder or the one about the blonde using whiteout on a computer screen to correct an error, but the following dialog actually occurred and I was there to hear it. The confused person was my youngest son, Jeff, but I had Erkki substitute my wife for the comedic effect.

Let it be known that I have all the respect in the world for paramedics. That said, I have run into other "paras" that I thought took their credentials just a little bit too seriously—namely paralegals. A few of them seem to believe that they've earned the title of attorney through some bizarre process of osmosis, skipping over the inconvenient steps of completing law school and taking the bar exam. After a run in with one of these self-annointed Oliver Wendell Holmes types, I pondered how ridiculous it could get if this attitude spread to other disciplines.

Finally, in my over-the-top, most politically incorrect gag, I wondered what might have happened if L.A.-style drive-by shootings had been thought of 150 years ago. Realizing that Smokey The Bear and spray paint are 20th century inventions, the cartoon incorporates these anachronisms to make it that much more ridiculous.

If any of these cartoons made you chuckle or groan, then that is a fit tribute to my friend Erkki Alanen. May he rest in peace.

Copyright 2008 Randy Hunt

6 comments:

  1. What fun to see the cartoons of our old friend Erkki. Thanks for letting me know. The next time our kids our over I'll have to show them. They were quite young when he lived with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy, I knew you were a talented individual, but never knew to what extend. I loved the humor in these cartoons.
    How come you never met Erkki, he live in the same community? Are you planning to find another cartoonist to visulize some of your other thoughts, or ideas? Frank

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frank, thank you for the comments. It is strange that Erkki and I never met in person. My wife met him when she arranged to get a caricature of me playing my bass guitar. That print is in her office. As far as pursuing the cartoons, it's really better left to those who can both think up a gag AND draw it. But it was fun, nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Hunt with out question as suggested by Frank, you should consider doing a few Cartoon's using your experience's on the Board of Selectman. With out a doubt one could find many humoristic ideas that sort of come up during a few of the meetings every now and then.

    Please, interupt me before I finish speaking could be a fun one to work with.

    Then again we just voted to spend x amount of money and now we have one member saying I would not have voted that way had I been aware of what the number really was?

    Perhaps using the analogy of apples and oranges when speaking to financial matters that are the same, but not the same.?

    Carl J

    ReplyDelete
  5. Randy, this is your 2nd cousin Danielle. Dickie is my dad. Aunt Cathy sent me the link to your blog about Alan. What a hoot! Anyhow, I'm glad to "know" you and hope to get to know you more via your blog. Take care, Danielle (Hunt) Cathey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the information. I worked with Eri
    kki in the 70's when he was in the architectural profession.
    We became great friend, I still have some of his orginals.
    We have tried to keep up but lost track. I have been looking on the internet for evidence of him lately. Not finding his web page gave me concern that something had happened to my dear fiend.
    Thanks for this posting and sure he is keeping everybody amused in heaven.

    ReplyDelete

I monitor all comments. As long as there are no personally defamatory statements and/or foul language, I'll post your comment. For this reason, your comment will not appear instantaneously. To comment without registering, choose Name/URL and type a screen name (or your real name if you like) into the Name field. Leave the URL field blank.